Monday, October 14, 2013

Reflection

As I reflect on the last seven weeks, I’ve learned a great deal about Inquiry Based Learning. I’ve learned the steps students take to complete the process, along with how this model looks as a teacher directed, teacher-student shared and student directed classroom. We saw various perspectives on how to teach an Inquiry Based Unit and how we as the teacher must guide instruction versus being the information source. I learned the various web 2.0 tools and how they can be used to foster 21st century learning skills throughout the five stages of Inquiry Based Learning. With the help of the backwards design model, I was able to explore the importance of planning activities with an end in mind. This helped me decide on the learning outcomes, identify the means for assessing learners and planning learning opportunities for my students. Using the BSCS 5E Model I was able put all this together and create a lesson and unit that continually evaluated student learning as they engage, explore, explain and elaborate. As I wrapped up my unit of study I was able to create a standards based unit that had focused expectations, assessments (including rubrics), and useful technology to enhance learning.

My new insights include the importance of Inquiry Based Learning in the 21st century. We no longer need to memorize information and facts. Facts are rapidly changing and information is in the palms of many people. Instead our focus should include how to make sense of the world around us. This is where Inquiry Based Learning goes beyond research and seeks useful and applicable knowledge. In the future we are going to depend on individuals that work smarter by collaborating with each other using the latest technology. Inquiry is not seeking the right answer necessarily, rather it hopes to find resolutions to issues. In order to foster a love of learning students must explore their interests, so we can enable them to become lifelong learners. Although Inquiry Based Learning has been done predominantly in science, it can be applied to all disciplines.  

I plan to begin my formal Inquiry Based Learning endeavor by imploring my Kindergarten Earth Science Unit with my students. As I unveil this unit and have opportunities to evaluate my students and reflect, I will plan future units in social studies, then language arts and math. I look forward to giving my students the opportunity to learn l in a student-teacher shared classroom where they can explore their interests.


No comments:

Post a Comment