Sunday, October 6, 2013

Growing with Inquiry Based Learning

As I become more acquainted with Inquiry Based Learning I can envision how it will look in my Kindergarten classroom. At first, I was worried that it would be difficult to model this strategy in an age appropriate way with my students. However, now I’m more than confident my students can be successful thanks in part to their ability to guide the instruction as we share the responsibility for learning.  


One of my biggest, “ah-has” far has been the construction of our own Inquiry Based Learning unit using Google Sites.  Exploring this tools been a great experience learning to create a site that’s easy to navigate appropriate content. Looking at the overarching theme of concept/fact and question types, I was able to strategically decide on a unit of study that would allow for me to exemplify these ideas with my students. Next, we explored technology resources to support the objective of the lesson.


Given my passion for mobile technology and experience in the classroom, I was excited to give students opportunities to utilize tools that would promote communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking. For each section of the unit, I decided to focus on one or tool that gave students choice in creating a product. One of the biggest pitfalls to mobile technology is many educators fall into the app store conundrum. My goal for mobile technology is to have students to create content that practices a wide array of 21st century skills, instead of recreating something we can do on a piece of paper. Students often don’t notice they are learning in this setting. It’s They are engaged in a transformative learning experience that deepens their passion for learning along with their understanding of material. While using technology, my ideal lesson redefines learning when looking at the SAMR Model. 


 




For the purpose of this unit I plan on using:



                                                    


                                                       







No comments:

Post a Comment